Built in the late 1800s, this collection of stately homes served as residential housing for many of the officers and families stationed here. From its beginnings in 1849, this army base functioned as the center of military operations in the Pacific Northwest until World War II, when activities moved north to Ft. Lewis near Tacoma.
The row of officers’ homes gradually fell into disrepair and in 1984, the neglected properties were deeded to the City of Vancouver for $1. While it might have seemed like a terrific bargain, one city official referred to the properties as “21 white elephants nose to tail.” It took four years and $11M in renovation funds from the city and state to transform the properties into today’s line-up of beautifully restored houses stretching along the north side of Evergreen Boulevard. Most of these are occupied by private businesses or townhouses, but a few are open to the public.
Restaurant at the Historic Preserve.
Officers’ Row is only one attraction in a locale jam-packed with history. Across the parade grounds and down towards the Columbia River are reconstructed Fort Vancouver and Pearson Field, the oldest operating airfield in the U.S.